Merger of Suffolk County National Bank with People’s United approved by Federal Reserve Board; deal cleared to closeThe merger is expected to be consummated quickly, but must wait until at least March 31, according to the order issued yesterday by the Federal Reserve Bank Board of Governors.
- The Claudio family has announced that it will reopen for the 2017 season after a potential sale fell through.
- Scoops & Grinds opens its doors this week on Main Road in Cutchogue.
- The merger’s approval by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency was announced by the Bridgeport-based People’s United yesterday.
- The acquisition of the Riverhead-based Suffolk Bancorp by People’s United Financial of Bridgeport was originally expected to close by the end of 2016, but federal regulators have not yet signed off on the deal.
- A local swimming pool business is moving into the former Hart’s Hardware building. Bilal Altintoprak of Southold purchased the property this month and is relocating his pool company, L.I. Pool Care, from its present quarters on Route 48 in Peconic.
- Ever wonder how candy canes are made? Here’s an inside look at how The Candyman in Orient produces its hand-crafted, red-and-white striped sweets.
- The popular Westhampton Beach burger joint is about to open up a new location in Mattituck, next to the movie theater.
- The proposed merger of Suffolk County National Bank with People’s United Bank will result in the layoff of 76 employees at Suffolk’s administrative offices in Riverhead.
- Island Harvest Food Distribution, Long Island’s largest hunger relief agency on Long Island will have an easier time distributing fresh foods and vegetables to the East End after receiving a 20 year no cost least of warehouse space from J. Kings Food Service.
- The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for the Electrical Industry of Nassau and Suffolk Counties will conduct a recruitment from April 5 through Sept. 20 for 28 electrician apprentices, one electrician (house or residential) apprentices, and two electrical maintenance technician apprentices
- The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for Operating Engineers, Local Union #15, will conduct a recruitment from March 13 through March 24.
- Suffolk Bancorp, the parent company of Suffolk County National Bank released its fourth quarter and 2016 year end results.
- Charles Evdos was recently named the executive director of Aid to the Developmentally Disabled.
- Seacoast Kitchens and Flooring is the largest design showroom on the North Fork for cabinetry, countertops, tiling and carpets, featuring exclusive brands at competitive rates.
- “Century 21 is a locally owned company that puts back into the community as opposed to bigger companies with branch offices here and corporate headquarters somewhere else,” said owner Tom Scalia.
- Riverhead Building Supply is a family-owned-and-operated independent lumber and building materials dealer with a strong focus on professional contractors.
- Profile of Joe’s Garage and Grill, which opened on the Peconic Riverfront earlier this year.