- A proposal to ban the placement of Dumpsters in front or side yards of residential properties has one Cutchogue business owner seeing red. Jon DiVello of Mattituck Environmental Services and Peconic Recycling is angry about the proposal, which will have a second public hearing tonight at Southold Town Hall. The code amendment under consideration by the town ...
- A public meeting was held to discuss the future of Suffolk County’s wastewater management at Town Hall Thursday.
- The physical and ecological implications of climate change to our local region will be the subject of a talk by coastal scientist Kevin McAllister Jan. 27 at the Jamesport Meeting House.
- As Congress takes the first step toward repealing the Affordable Care Act, local people relying on its coverage wondering what will happen to them.
- With the comprehensive plan update not yet complete and the adoption of a new zoning code likely more than a year away, Mattituck civic group wants to explore possibility of a moratorium.
- Suffolk officials are taking legislative action to continue the county’s farmland preservation program — and protect agriculture — following what they call a devastating blow struck by a State Supreme Court ruling last year.
- Southold Town will hold a forum to introduce alternate onsite wastewater treatment systems to address the issue of drinking water quality.
- The drinking water protection funds would provide, among other things, money for advanced wastewater treatment systems to address nitrogen loading on Long Island.
- The forum is an effort to improve communications and relations between police and residents.
- Yesterday’s snowstorm dumped between 8 and 11 inches of snow across the local region. Roads are plowed and sanded but packed snow will make travel treacherous and motorists are urged to use extra caution.
- Closings, cancellations and delays for Saturday, Jan. 7.
- Scavenger hunt for teens held at Mitchell Park this week
- May is Motorcycle Safety and Awareness Month
- LaValle requests nominations for the 2015 NYS Senate Veterans Hall Of Fame
- Senator Ken LaValle announces new pet protections
- Governor Cuomo announces home energy assistance available beginning Nov. 17
- Suffolk County Parks offers sportfishing instruction
- Cutchogue carting and recycling company executive lashes out at town’s proposed new Dumpster rules
- Southold burn victim succumbs to injuries
- At MLK celebration in Mattituck, Greenport pastor issues call to embrace — and act upon — King’s moral vision
- Greg Blass
Should state step in to stop Suffolk’s fiscal free-fall? Probably, but politics intervenes
- Public meeting on wastewater management draws crowd to Town Hall
- ‘Living on the Edge’: What does rising sea level mean for our coastal community?
Town Hall Notebook