Home Community Community News Learn about proposed New York Health Act at March 23 ‘teach-in’

Learn about proposed New York Health Act at March 23 ‘teach-in’

Stock photo

North Forkers for the Common Good, an independent member group of the New York Progressive Action Network, is sponsoring a teach-in and community discussion about the New York Health Act on March 23 in Southold.

The New York Health Act aims to cover all New York residents without insurance deductibles while bringing down the cost of health care by eliminating profits for insurance companies.

The legislation was introduced in February by New York State assemblyman Richard N. Gottfried; an earlier version of the bill was passed last June.

Funding for the plan would come from a progressive payroll tax with employers contributing 80 percent and employees contributing the remaining 20 percent.

The teach-in and discussion will be led by Martha Livingston, Ph.D., a professor and chair of the public health department at SUNY Old Westbury, and Michael Zweig, Ph.D., a professor emeritus and former director at the Center for Study of Working Class Life at Stony Brook University.

According to Zweig, the current Medicare program provides excellent coverage for seniors and a “Medicare for Everyone” program would afford similar benefits. It would be significantly less costly than continually rising insurance premiums and would prevent very sick people from delaying care, he said.

The teach-in will be held at the First Presbyterian Church of Southold at 7 p.m. on March 23. The church is located at 53100 Main Road in Southold.

Katharine Schroeder
Katharine is a writer and photographer who has lived on the North Fork for nearly 40 years, except for three-plus years in Hong Kong a decade ago, working for the actor Jackie Chan. She lives in Cutchogue. Email Katharine