A Southold Town police office on patrol who smelled smoke on Boisseau Avenue late Wednesday night discovered a fire in a building there.
Officer Alex Chenche located an active fire in a rear building at 205 Boisseau Avenue just before midnight Wednesday, Southold police said in a press release this morning.
The building was unoccupied, police said. No injuries were reported. Southold Fire Department responded and extinguished the fire, which was determined by firefighters to have been caused by a burning wood stove, police said.