(Updated: 8:40 a.m.) A teenage resident in a house that caught fire late last night on Sound Avenue in Mattituck escaped uninjured, according to the owner of the home. Mattituck firefighters raced to the scene to extinguish the fire, which was reported to Southold Town Police at 11:13 p.m.
Upon arrival, first responders saw smoke billowing from attic vents and extinguished the fire.
Homeowner Cathy Sepko of Cutchogue was at the house this morning to survey the damage to the small house she rents out to a couple and their teenage daughter along with two dogs, a cat and a bird.
According to Sepko, the daughter was home at the time the fire broke out and was able to escape with the dogs and the bird. The cat appears to have run off into the woods, she said.
“I was here last night,” said Sepko, “But it was difficult to see the damage. I just thank God that everyone got out safely.”
Several holes had been cut into the roof by firefighters to vent the smoke and the front room of the house was the most severely affected by fire, smoke and water.
Although Sepko was happy that no one was hurt, it was clearly painful for her to see the damage to the house that her parents built and that she grew up in.
“It’s sad to see,” she said. “But again, I’m happy everyone’s safe. This could have ended very differently.”