Home Police and Fire Breaking News Mattituck, Jamesport firefighters extinguish blaze in Laurel

Mattituck, Jamesport firefighters extinguish blaze in Laurel

An unoccupied cottage on Peconic Bay Boulevard in Laurel suffered substantial fire damage after a possible lightning strike. Courtesy photo

Mattituck Fire Department responded to a fire at an unoccupied cottage at 7025 Peconic Bay Boulevard in Laurel at 2:30 this afternoon, calling in Jamesport Fire Department for mutual aid and manpower.

Chief James Rugnetta of the Mattituck Fire Department said that the fire, which caused substantial damage to the building, was possibly caused by the storm.

“We believe it was an electrical fire possibly caused by a lightning strike. It started near the microwave and traveled down near the stove and into the cabinets behind the stove,” he said.

National Grid and PSEG were called in for assistance in securing the house to allow firefighting efforts to proceed, Rugnetta said.

EMS was also called to the scene, but there were no injuries to either firefighters or civilians, he said.

SHARE
Katharine Schroeder
Katharine is a writer and photographer who has lived on the North Fork for nearly 40 years, except for three-plus years in Hong Kong a decade ago, working for the actor Jackie Chan. She lives in Cutchogue. Email Katharine