Firefighters stopped a fire on the second floor of a house at 400 Legion Avenue in Mattituck Tuesday night.
Heavy smoke was showing when firefighters arrived on scene shortly after 7:30 p.m., Mattituck Fire Chief James Rugnetta said. Occupants of the home had evacuated prior to firefighters’ arrival, the chief said.
“There was extreme heat and smoke on the second floor,” Rugnetta said.
Two people were taken from the scene by ambulance, the chief said. He said they were not firefighters but had no further information.
Rugnetta said it was not clear what sparked the fire, but it seemed to originate in a knee wall on the second floor.
Southold police said the fire did not appear to be suspicious in origin.
Jamesport and Cutchogue fire departments were called for mutual aid, Rugnetta said. Southold Fire Department stood by at Mattituck’s headquarters.